Saturday, August 29, 2009

Rio de Janeiro Day 2

This is a store dedicated to crackers and sweets.  The guy next to me is on a microphone telling everyone the promotions going on in the store right now.  Sister Larsen and I used to sing our famous duets into those microphones for the entire street to hear.  It brought back so many memories and just how crazy we were.
We went on a tour of H Stern and learned all about the mining of precious stones, designing them into jewelry, and shopping for them.  The had the designers and craftsmen working through glass so you could watch them.  It was really fascinating.  I fell in love with a $3,000 gangster ring.  We ended up finding a great knock off at the mall that I enjoy wearing daily. :)
We took a taxi into downtown Rio to head to the famous Samba Club Rio Scenarium.  The club had 5 levels that all had a terrace to look down on the dance floor.  They had live music all night and served food and drinks.  This is a picture of us on the second floor where we had a table.  All of the walls were decorated with something unique.
Tom and I were on the dance floor for quite a while pretending to Samba.  Luckily there were a ton of people squished into the space that we could fake our Samba.  There were plenty of people who REALLY knew how to Samba.  It was a fun club and interesting for me because there were 60 year olds and 10 year olds all chilling.  It was really weird to see iphones and to be honest a bunch of rich people.  I had never seen this side of Brazil and I have to say it was pretty cool.
This is a picture of the street.  There were a lot of cute restaurants and was very quaint. It reminded me of Europe and San Fransisco.

1 comment:

Coco said...

yes! love the tribute to singing in front of the stores! remember the meat market where there was a pig head skewered right next to us??? oh the memories. i know what you mean when you say it was weird to see the rich side of brasil. i remember thinking the same thing when i went back. keep posting!!