After lunch, we went across the street to church. It was so neat to sit in the benches again and have more memories come flooding back. Severina (George's mom), Cleonice, Maria, the old bishop, and first counselor. I ran into Albertino and had to get a picture for Sister Keller who taught him. He is still a strong member in the church!
We all went back to Binho's house to have an FHE. He arranged for everyone to come and share their feelings about the church, their growth, and how I changed their lives. It was like attending my own funeral. I cried the entire four hours. No one wanted the night to end. I shared with them how each one is a fulfillment of an answer to a prayer to go on a mission.
Each of them shared their personal story of struggles and growth. Binho pulled out the little green Hymn book we gave him 10 years ago and said he had carried it with him on his mission and still to this day. In there we had written he would go on a mission and be a bishop and a great leader. It is amazing to see such a thing fulfilled. He said he really gained his testimony on his mission and I know his wife is a huge inspiration to him. Julio still had his hymn book as well. He said it fell into the baptismal font and has been baptized. :) He told a story of being unemployed and not being able to buy a birthday present for his son. He told his son how sorry he was that he couldn't provide a birthday for him. His 7 year old son responded, "That's ok dad! All I really want is to be an Elder."
Renata realized that she wasn't attending every week and didn't want to set that example for her daughter so they decided to be there every week. We reminisced about the nail polish that started it all. She said every time we came to visit Patricia she would try and go in the back to hide. The funny thing was that when she said that everyone else chimed in and said they did too. Those Brazilians love to hide from the missionaries. Renata has been sealed to her husband William and serves in the church.
Roberio broke out in song, and started singing Families can Be together Forever. He shared how this song changed his life.
Neide and Patricia told stories of friendship and love. Neide told a great story about Sister Larsen. She also shared a story of how I would get the bus drivers to give us free rides. Years after we left, they would still offer her free bus rides. Can you believe how crazy I was? I am so proud of everyone.
Afterwards we stopped by for some Maracuja desert. We ate 3 helpings each. I gotta plant one of these trees in my backyard. I LOVE passion fruit.

Afterwards we stopped by for some Maracuja desert. We ate 3 helpings each. I gotta plant one of these trees in my backyard. I LOVE passion fruit.
Saying our goodbyes in the street.
3 comments:
Sounds like such a great time. I went back once, but never made it out of Sao Paulo. I would love to see Rio and so many of the other beautiful spots of Brazil.
I did love going into the malls (Shopping Morumbi, Shopping Butanta, etc.) but I almost felt like I was breaking some rules.
gimme more--every time i read one of these posts i want more!!! how i love those people!!
Thanks for the pic on my behalf. Saudades de mais...just from the stories! I am so glad you guys got to go! Looks like an amazing, amazing trip!
Post a Comment