Thursday, July 31, 2008

Real Life

I was reading a friends blog that really made me laugh and really made me think. Here is a quote from Laurel's website...
"Seriously, sometimes I have blog envy. I see blogs that cleverly portray the perfect life with all the wit and charm possible, and on top of that it's all tied up with a nice photo shop bow and set to a sound track. I think, wow, their life is so good, their husband is so nice, their kids so perfect, and those outfits- where did they get them? Oh, and that cool graphic, how did they do that? I want to do that - and then I'm overwhelmed. But then I remember, their life really isn't like that all the time. They can put what ever they want on their blog, and of course, they really only pick pictures they look cute in, right? And they only share their awesome adventures. And no one titles their latest blog entry, "Today we did the laundry and it was fabulous!" "

So in honor of Laurel I will share some of the real stuff and some of my personal thoughts.
Logan has been going through what I like to call "a phase" in the last few weeks or is it months? Anyway the phase of not listening, not obeying, and flat out rebelling finally reached the limit. I tried everything and even had a little short term success with a rewards system. However a week ago I hit my limit and told him the consequence for not listening or obeying is going to his room without dinner and staying there until bed. That night he cried and cried and for those who don't know, he eats 5-6 adult size meals a day, so this is a major punishment. From that moment on I have heard, "yes mommy" "thank you mommy" and if there is a relapse during the day I just have to ask if he would like to eat dinner that night and he shapes up real fast.
We have been meeting so many new people lately which I love but I realized I how much I miss just chillin with my boys. So today we went to the beach a little early before all our friends got there. We played a little frisbie and dug holes and then I held Gavin as we went in the Ocean. He just cuddled close and smiled which is what he does most of the time. We were there for awhile and I realized as my arms and back were a little strained that A) He is not a baby anymore B) In a few months he'll be 2 years old and C) How blessed I am to have all three of my boys in my life.

Tonight we went to a swim birthday party. Tom and Gavin are sick so they stayed home. So Logan and I swam, ate pizza, and cupcakes and had a blast. As Logan and I were sitting in the hot tub around 8:30p.m. and he was massaging my back, he looked up with a smile and said, "Mom I like going on dates with you" His smile is written on my heart.

7 comments:

Alicia said...

Emily--
It was fun to see you tonight--as always! Thanks for sharing your cute blog with me!

Kenon said...

Amen sista! I have been puking my guts out, and considered blogging about it...but my house is packed up and I am on my sister's computer. Call me when you guys get into town. I will be here until at least the 5th.

Terra said...

Cheers to reminding us of what real life is like! When you step back and look at it all - we really are SO blessed! You are so great at just enjoying your boys and making the most of each moment. Hope we ge to see you while we're here!?!

Valerie said...

Ohh, what a sweetie! We miss Logan. Audrey rarely does her silly Logan Cuckoo-Niinii voice. Thanks for "keeping it real!"

Alicia said...

OK...how great is that quote? ;) Em, you're the best! I definitely miss the party planning days...wow, good times. I love that kids are so cute, and deep down they really just loooove spending time with their Moms. Great snapshot into "real life!" I just wish we were there closer to share it with you! Big hugs!

Coco said...

how precious is he? what a great entry...hugs!

Christian and Karina said...

I love this! Life truly does have it stinky moments and it's beautiful moments. I love hearing about both. We can all help each other through the "not obeying" times- as all of our children go through it.