
So tonight I was putting Logan to bed on our couch downstairs (Gavin crying always wakes him up so he's sleeping down there now). I turned off all the lights except for a small one and he protested saying he wanted the big kitchen light on. I said "no" because it wakes him up too early in the morning. He protested again and we went back and forth back and forth until I finally said, "you need to tell me exactly why you need the big light on." He finally admitted that he didn't like to close his eyes and that the big light helped him stay awake. He said that he was afraid of nightmares and that bad men would get him in his dreams.
I had an idea and I picked up a small plastic baseball bat about a foot in length and told him that he should keep this by him at night and if a bad man came into his dreams that he could bonk the man on the head with the bat. He looked at me . . . . then he looked at the small little bat . . . . and then he looked back at me and said in a very serious tone, "Dad, I think maybe I'm going to need a bigger bat." I bust up laughing so hard thinking how he had processed that the little plastic bat I had given him was just not going to get the job done against the big bad men in his dreams. After i picked myself off the floor and caught my breath, I brought him the bigger bat. He clutched it tightly and I said, "Just put it next to you and you can grab it if you need to." He resisted saying, "I've got to be ready to bonk them in the noggin." I finally convinced him that he could lay the bat by his side with one hand on it to be ready. We said prayers and I prayed that his arms would be strong and his aim swift and true. And I left him to go to sleep. A half an hour later Emily took the photo. Fast asleep . . . . but ready, at a moments notice, to bonk any bad men, right on the noggin.
Picture will be posted tomorrow.
Tom
3 comments:
aw c'mon--you can't just leave us hanging like that!
I'm definitely not breaking into your house, at least not without a helmet.
OK! That is seriously one of the funniest things EVER! Kids...where do they come up with this stuff! Its so great! That Logan is pretty awesome!
Post a Comment